Why This Matters
61% OF WORKERS HAVE EDUCATION POST HIGH SCHOOL
More than 60% of employers report requiring either a post-secondary certificate or some college (with no degree required).
MEDICAL SECRETARY & ADMIN JOBS ARE GROWING BY 8%
The projected growth rate for this type of job is 8% through 2029, which is must faster than the national average for all jobs.
AVERAGE HOURLY WAGE IS $18.75
The average hourly wage for medical office staff is $18.75 per hour, with those in the top 10% making an average of $26.25 per hour.
We looked at certificate programs in medical office administration, most of which are offered by community and technical colleges. These programs usually require around 17 to 18 credits to graduate, which means they can be completed in one or two semesters going full-time. Our list includes programs that offer online and hybrid approaches to learning.
Also, we only included schools that have been accredited by organizations such as the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) and the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
- 61 hours to write this article
- 26 universities and colleges we assessed
- 40 education programs we compared
The Top 50 Online Certificate in Medical Office Administration Programs
Discover More Options
What You Should Know About This Degree
Individuals interested in working in medical offices might also consider medical billing or transcription certificates. Another option is an associate degree in healthcare administration. More specific certificate programs, such as one for medical billing, position you to do specific jobs.
It’s important to ensure your time and money is well spent when you’re learning about medical office administration. You can increase your odds of having a positive experience by seeking out schools that are accredited by organizations such as SACSCOC or NWCCU.
The job outlook for individuals who earn a certificate in medical office administration is strong, making it likely that you can find a position in this field in almost any city or town.
Students may need to pass final exams or complete a final project to receive their certification. Typically, there are no licensing requirements for those who want to work in medical office administration.
Here are some questions to ask when researching online certificate in medical office administration programs:
- Am I eligible for this program? Most of these programs only require a high school diploma or GED. You may also need to be able to provide documentation of basic math and language competencies or take a test demonstrating them.
- How long does it take to complete this online degree? How long it takes depends on the total number of credits required and how many classes you can take each semester. Most of the programs on our list require 17 or so credits. If all the required classes can be taken in a single semester, you could complete the certificate in around three months. More commonly, you may need to take courses across two semesters, or about ten total months.
When reviewing programs, record information about deadlines and application requirements. Getting paperwork in well before the deadline is typically encouraged.
You can also reach out to each school’s financial aid office to find out more about scholarship, grant, and financial aid options.